Share your favorite spots in your city’s Chinatown, Japantown, Koreatown, Manilatown, Little Saigon, or Little Delhi. Some Asian American communities might not have names like these, but they can be mapped just the same to show what makes them special.
- Read through the New York Times, “How to Make an Illustrated Map in 8 Steps” to learn the overall procedure for this activity.
- Choose the neighborhood you want to celebrate and brainstorm your favorite spots to visit in that neighborhood.
- Think of your favorite memories or pastimes for each personal landmark and how they might be represented by icons.
- On a piece of paper, plot out your favorite spots relative to each other. If you can remember street names, try to integrate them into your layout.
- Draw and color in the icons you chose for each personal landmark. Then share your map!