Content Standards (California)
VPA/VA 5.2.5: Assemble a found object sculpture (as assemblage) or a mixed media two-dimensional composition that reflects unity and harmony and communicates a theme;
VPA/VA 6.4.2: Identify and describe ways in which their culture is being reflected in current works of art;
VPA/VA 6.2.5: Select specific media and processes to express moods, feelings, themes, or ideas;
VPA/VA 7.3.1: Research and describe how art reflects cultural values in various traditions throughout the world.
12 rectangular pieces of paper: four pieces of each: dark pink, light pink and green paper
(See Visual instructions)
- Choose four pieces each of dark pink, light pink and green paper and fold them in half.
- Fold all four corners into the middle crease.
- Fold both edges toward the center, then fold the center crease over again and repeat with all 12 pieces of paper.
- Lay each of the folded colors inside of one another with the green, which will be the leaf of the lotus, on the inside.
- Place the pinks in the bundles. The color in the middle will be the outside petal of your flower. You will have four separate bundles.
- Take each of the bundles and use a rubber band to “tie” them together.
- Make an “X” with the bundles.
- With the green on the bottom,separate the petals.
- Bend the first pink back over the middle of the “X.”
- Keep folding the pinks until all the petals are up. This is your flower.
- Fold the green leaves of the lotus flower down.
- You made a paper lotus flower! It’s yours to take home and enjoy.