APV/VA 2.3.3: Identify and discuss how art is used in events and celebrations in various cultures, past and present, including the use in their own lives.
APV/VA 6.1.1: Identify and describe all the elements of art found in selected works of art (e.g., color, shape/form, line, texture, space, value).
APV/VA 7.3.1 Research and describe how art reflects cultural values in various traditions throughout the world. VPA/T 3.2: Students apply processes and skills in acting, directing, designing, and script writing to create formal and informal theatre, film/videos, and electronic media productions and to perform in them.
Materials: Templates: Rama and Hanuman (see “Downloads” above); videos of Thai shadow puppet performances; 8.5” x 11” transparency film; scissors; clear tape; glue stick; permanent markers with various colors; sequins; hole punch; 2 skewers or thin dowels (Optional: Glitter or glitter pens)
- Learn more about Thailand’s national epic, Ramakian (Thai version of the epic of the Ramayana and check-out videos of Thai shadow puppet performances by researching online.
- Photocopy or print shadow puppet templates onto transparency film sheets.
- Embellish your puppet with colored markers and sequins.
- Cut out your shadow puppet along the outline.
- Use a hole punch, scissors or x-acto knife to cut out the background of the puppet.
- Tape the skewers or dowels to the back of the puppet.
- Perform an excerpt with your friends and family.
- Have fun!