Students will complete a K-W-L chart and Object Investigation of the Cyrus Cylinder to research the Achaemenid Persian empire and Cyrus the Great.
The Cyrus Cylinder: K-W-L Chart for each student (see downloads above)
Great Power, Great Choices (storytelling video)
Image and description of the Cyrus Cylinder
Rediscovering the Cyrus Cylinder: The Making of a Cultural Icon
Additional Materials :
Cyrus the Great and the Rise of the Persian Empire (talk)
- Project an image of the Cyrus Cylinder and ask students to think about what they know (K) and what they want to know (W) about the Cyrus Cylinder (and/or Persian empire). Individually, students complete the K-W in the K-W-L chart.
- Show the storytelling video, Great Power, Great Choices. Invite students to add to their K-W-L chart.
- In pairs, students share their progress on their K-W-L chart and work together to complete the L column by reading Rediscovering the Cyrus Cylinder: The Making of a Cultural Icon.
- In pairs, students decide three ideas or facts that they think are most interesting about the Cyrus Cylinder and put each idea on a post-it.
- Student pairs share out their interesting facts while the teacher facilitates sorting into main categories.